Friday, May 1, 2015

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT // Desra Ramey Photography

 I can already tell that May is going to be a blast! And to start your month off to a great start I encourage you to read the sweet wisdom of the very talented Desra Ramey of Desra Ramey Photography she is our Artist Spotlight for May! And will be guest judging this month!

It wasn't long ago when I discovered her work, but as soon as I saw it, I fell in love. Desra captures detail like no other!  Her moody, rich edits make every image feel cozy and delightful, as if you were right there in the moment. 

I am always re-inspired & touched by every photo she shares.  The simplicity of them.. the emotion and the reality of life they portray. Amazing what a photograph can do huh?  the artist behind it! I love your passion & determination Desra! Keep inspiring.


what does being a photographer mean to you?

It means more to me probably than anyone can imagine. When I started, my intentions were to take tons and tons of pictures of my girls. At the time we only had 3 girls, (now we have 4), and I thought from the beginning, what an amazing thing. I can capture my girls every single day if I'd like. Not really fully understanding that this would be my calling, my career, my passion. Photography means much more to me than images, or frames hanging, though that is my goal with my clients, It's a passion that comes from within my soul, deep down...



how does your photography effect you?

In many ways actually. It fills my heart up so much that sometimes I want to explode. I love getting feed back from clients. It always will be the most humbling part of my job. knowing they are satisfied and had a great time with me makes me super happy!

when did you first find your love for it?

The moment I stepped into the store to buy my first Nikon, I was hooked. This has been 3 1/2 years ago now. wow, time flies!!!!


what matters most to you in your journey in photography?

My clients are what matters to me. They come first. 2nd would be the moments  that didn't expect me to gather. My style is very much about details and moments. I want clients to cherish the images for many years to come and pass them down to their kids and grandkids.  I strongly believe in documenting life and all the "mess" that comes with it. I adore a big smile "look at me" image, but in my eyes it's nothing compared to a mother holding her child tight and kissing his forehead.

what is your favorite camera equipment to use?

I'm a Nikon gal. always have been, always will be. currently I shoot with d7000, and I've had many people ask me, "why don't I upgrade"? My answer is this... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm super comfy with my camera body. I love it. I know it inside and out. It works best for me and what I love to capture. I may upgrade one day, but I'm fine right now :)
I also use a 35 1.4/ that's on my body 99% of the time.


Favorite time of the day to shoot is?

Morning and evenings. Evenings are my 1st choice, but I'll do mornings if clients will agree to my time. (sometimes it's a little to early for some).


if you were to give another photographer advise, what would it be?

My advise would be to NOT give up. keep pushing. Don't compare yourself to ANYONE. Always be you. Be kind, Be humble. Study and practice until you are comfy. Don't second guess your work. Own it and be proud!


Have you had a past time struggle that our fellow artists could learn from?

I can remember when I first started out reading and studying and staying up all hours of the night, crying even trying to figure things out. How to do this, or that...
My first piece of advise would be to practice. Learn your camera, inside and out. Another piece of advise would be to not worry with what others are doing. Find yourself. Take your time and enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment